DATMO 2009 champion!

 

Parimarjan Negi

 

GM Interview with Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi, the youngest Grandmaster in the World!
Written by content team 10 June 2007

Parimarjan Negi is the youngest Indian to earn the Grandmaster title. He was introduced to chess at a tender age of four. In 2002, Parimarjan tasted his first international success when he won the Asian Under-10 championship at Tehran. On 1 July 2006, Parimarjan became the second youngest Grandmaster in the history of game. (world's youngest Grandmaster is Sergey Karjakin) According to recently published news by ExpressIndia, Parimarjan Negi says, "in the near future, someone below the age of 20 will taste victory at the world meet. Youngsters will rule the chess world.
In this interview, Parimarjan Negi shares his views about his illustrious Chess career, chess games he loves, his sponsors, coaches, parents and many others things.

CC:- Parimarjan you have just tied for first place in a World's Youth Stars Tournament, a very strong tournament in Russia. Can you tell us more about it ?
Parimarjan Negi:- It was a very well organized event, between many strong young players. Almost all the players were from the Russian region -- I being the only non Russian speaker in the event. It was very well fought tournament and there was high climax till the end. I was leading before the last round with Zaven Andriasian, but we both lost, and were joined by Rauf Mamedov and Ian Nepomniachtchi. Nepomniachtchi was first on tie-break. For me it was a good tournament, except the last round, and it was also very important seeing the fact that I hadn't had fully satisfying performances so far this year.
CC:- How do you play chess so well!
Parimarjan Negi:-
I Just try to put in my best during the games, and of course it's very important that I've had good coaching from the start. My parents have encouraged me from the start, and continue to arrange for the right kind of training for me.
CC:- What do you think of computers in chess? Are they really useful especially for a small boy like you.
Parimarjan Negi:-
Computers are essential for chess, as it now is. There has been a dramatic change with the emergence of ever more powerful computer programs in the game. I think it's one of the reasons why chess players are performing at much younger ages, as now the information is much more easily available. Everyone can follow the top stars playing live, and other new games. The engines have made the analysis especially quicker and powerful, but it is necessary also to keep using the brain while analyzing, as often the computer assessment can be wrong, and also it can be harmful for your game to depend fully on the computer.
For me, the computers are the most important tools, as without them it's impossible to achieve a high level of analysis, and of course to keep myself updated with new games. But of course it's important not to over-use them also.

Parimarjan became the Yougest Grandmaster!

CC:- If you think computers are important, from what age they should be given to young boys?
Parimarjan Negi:-
I can't say much about this...I got my first laptop when I was 9. But for young children it's I think not necessary to use too much of engines like Fritz, as that might obstruct their natural assessments. But the computers are also very important learning tools, to follow the latest games of strong players, and new opening developments. So in my opinion a computer is an important tool for players who are trying to reach higher levels.

CC:- Very few in India know how much training you had put up, could you please tell us about your training history that brought you so much success!
Parimarjan Negi:- I've had a lot of training from the beginning. My first main professional coach was G.B Joshi, and I worked with him for many years. After that I started to work with foreign coaches like Evgeny Vladimirov, who helped me a lot to increase my understanding, and opening repertoire. Currently I am working with GM's Nigel Short, Elizbar Ubilava, Alexander Goloshchapov, Lev Psakhis....and also from time to time with IM Vishal. I 've also worked with other players at various parts.

with his family

CC:- What are your future plans?
Parimarjan Negi:- My next tournament is Biel Open, Switzerland, July end. And then I'll be playing in Mainz, followed by the NH Masters - Rising Stars vs Experienced Stars in Amsterdam. I also will be working with my different coaches in the next months. I hope to be able to keep performing well, and rise up on the rating charts.
CC:- What's the most difficult part of chess for you?
Parimarjan Negi:-
There are many difficult parts which I've to work on in my game, but I would say the most difficult part is losing games, especially when it happens because of some careless moves....when I could've easily averted the loss.
CC:- How is a normal day in your life?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Well....during training I work about 6-7 hrs. (+ or - a little), and often we divide the sessions into morning and evening parts. I also go sometimes for jogging in the evening. During the tournaments the schedule depends on various things like the timings of rounds, and preparation part etc. Also there are school-exam times, and then I don't look much at chess.
CC:- Do you go to the school? And where do you study?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Yes I definitely do, though I can't of course keep up a normal schedule because of my continuous traveling. But my teachers, and friends help me to cope up with the studies when I return to school after my tournaments. I study in Amity International school, Saket.

CC:- And what about your hobbies?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Well, I like to read books - fiction, fantasy, science....my favorite book are Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings books; Also I like to listen to music.
CC:- Who is your chess hero?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Anand has been my idol from the start, and continues to be an inspiring role model for me.

Negi with coach GM Nigel Short

CC:- When do you expect to be world champion?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Well....I hope to be a World Champion one day, but still I am a far way from there. I prefer to set direct goals for me, and to continue to climb the long path towards the world chess elite level.

Interview with Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi, the youngest Grandmaster in the World!
Written by content team 10 June 2007

CC:- Tell us what magazines do you read and which inspirational books you read?
Parimarjan Negi:-
The only magazines I read are New In Chess magazines. Inspirational books ....in chess I like Garry Kasparov's My great predecessors books. I can't say if the many books I've read, which were really inspirational in my career.

with trophies in very young age

CC:- At what age do you plan to lead Indian Senior Men team in the Olympiad?
Parimarjan Negi:-
Well for now, I just hope to get selected for the team from the Nationals this year. Leading the team ....is a far thing, about which I haven't thought.
CC:- Do you go for physical exercise or yoga? If so how much time u need to devote as a chess player?
Parimarjan Negi:-
I go generally for some physical exercises. Mostly jogging. The time I devote isn't fixed, generally up to maybe 1 hr. Yoga I do only occasionally.

Parimarjan with WGM Tania Sachdev (both from Delhi)

CC:- Any suggestions to the young boys (below 13 years of course!) out there who look up to you for advise!
Parimarjan Negi:-
I think they should just try to enjoy playing chess, and not to take any pressure to perform. Also following the latest games of strong players should help to improve their understanding of the game.

Republished  CyberChess
Photos courtesy Parimarjan Negi's website.


Comments

Popular Posts